Friday, August 16, 2019

My First Parent Complaint

My First Parent Complaint

As an educator I am well aware of teacher retention rates, or lack thereof. If you don't follow statistics or educational writings on this topic, according to an article I read, 40% of new teachers quit before their career even begins. I bring this information to the forefront because it is one of the first things I think of when I have a vivid flashback of the first complaint I ever received as a new teacher.

Much like a new employee at any new job, new teachers do not have it easy. Often the novice teacher will get stuck with the least desirable classes. New teachers often do not receive the support they need. Some of them are forced to attend multiple monthly meetings which are supposed to be in support of their new careers, when in actuality these meetings just take time from their lesson planning and grading time. In addition to the aforementioned issues, teachers receive complaints. All of these things and more can lead to low retention rates. My first complaint came to me by mail the first semester of my 2nd year (2005-2006 school year).

I received a 1/2 page note from a parent who wanted to let me know that I inadequately prepared her daughter for Spanish 2 at her new high school (her daughter took Spanish 1 with me the year prior). She cited specific examples of where she was struggling and how her Spanish 2 teacher was recommending that she retake Spanish 1. There were a few other examples of how I poorly performed as a first year teacher, but thankfully I do not remember them all. I spoke to a colleague about the letter and I wanted to know her thoughts and whether or not she felt I should respond. She recommended that I forget about it. She felt she knew the mother well and that writing back would merely fuel her fire.

I took my colleague's advice. I held on to the letter for a few years but eventually lost track of it. 12 years later I look back and laugh at this woman. I was at the time and continue to be a competent teacher. I know and understand my material very well and do a good job of teaching this material to the students. As of late, I have lead students from not knowing any Spanish the fall semester of their freshman year, to having them pass the AP Spanish Language and Culture Exam in May of their Sophomore year. I do my job. I have always done my job. I do not regret ignoring this woman's letter. But had I responded, it may have sounded like this:

"Dear Mrs. (I don't remember her name),
I am sorry that your daughter is struggling at her new school. We have all had teachers that inadequately prepared us for the next level. While that is understandably frustrating, I assure you this is not the case here. I have multiple administrators, master teachers, college advisers and a BTSA mentor that would concur; I do my job well.
Your daughter did not take my class seriously. She often did not participate or listen in my class. I spoke to several of her other teachers and they conveyed similar thoughts. If your daughter needs to retake Spanish 1 it is because she inadequately prepared herself for the next level. I hope that she is able to make better choices in her future educational endeavors so that she does not put herself in this position again.
Regards,
Mr. Belles"

I actually wrote this blog 4 years ago. I just never published it. Teachers always have these great ideas that will change the way they teach or interact with their colleagues. They just don't always come to fruition. I've decided to come back to this and give it another try. How was your first  year of teaching? With the exception of this story, mine was actually pretty good. Thanks for stopping by!
youtube.com/senorbelles
You can also find me on twitter, facebook and instagram as senorbelles




No comments:

Post a Comment